Today's post is in honor of the Super Bowl. Great exciting game last night, right?
This quilt was made while I was living in Seattle, WA....and it is the colors of the New England Patriots!
I think the quilt was made in 1994 (which saw the Dallas Cowboys beat the Buffalo Bills for the 2nd year in a row and a Rockin' Country Music halftime). I made it for my husband's 25th birthday....in hindsight, maybe it should have been silver?
I have no idea what the pattern is called. I saw the picture and got out my pencil and graph paper and sketched it out. This quilt embodies my style of quilting, which I have dubbed "Scrappy with a Theme". In this style, I pick a few colors (or a theme) and then put a huge variety of fabrics that fit within those colors. I love collecting fabrics...usually a quarter-yard at a time, or a layer cake (collection of a variety of 10-inch squares). One of my favorite stages of making a quilt is the Fabric Collecting....going through my stash and pulling out all the fabrics that I will use. It's not uncommon for me to have over a hundred different fabrics in a quilt!
Back in these days, we had no money. Fabrics were not high quality (notice the fading), and were often cut from clothes-sewing scraps and/or cut from outdated clothing. Also, I used sheets a lot for the large pieces. In this quilt, the red bricks on the front, as well as the back are from a sheet.
I actually did get brave enough to machine-quilt this on my little sewing machine. I stitched along the larger squares that grew out from the middle. The binding is a self-binding from the sheet on the back.
I had forgotten how much I like this pattern, and wouldn't mind making it again with better-quality fabrics.....you know, when I finish all the other quilts I have in the plans and in the works!
Love these colors!! they're so stately. You should link your posts to linky parties. You get the traffic of alot of quilters. Here are a few good ones: Wednesdays- http://www.freshlypieced.com/ and Friday's- http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete