Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The One that Started them All

Log Cabin - 1992

This is the first quilt I ever pieced (I think). My sister, Christine Woodrome, had taught me this new technique with rotary cutters and rulers! Revolutionary! I think she made hers navy blue and pink.


I made mine green and mauve to match the sheets we had chosen for our bed. I also used fabric from the sheets for the border. I look at it now and think….hideodeous colors! I remember hearing that traditional Log Cabin quilts had a red square in the center to represent the heart of the home, so I picked a darker mauve to represent my “heart”.


For the back, I used a dark green flannel sheet. We were living in Seattle at the time, so warmth was appreciated. I didn’t quite know how to finish it. I didn’t want to quilt the whole big thing on my sewing machine, and I didn’t want to tie it, so I think I did intermittent “button sew-on stitch” tacks, and then machine-quilted the borders. It is a self-binding with the fabric on the front.


A couple of times, as we’ve moved or cleaned out, I’ve been tempted to toss this, but I’m glad that my husband insisted that we keep it, if only for moving furniture! 





5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mary Kay on your first quilt blog post! Your work is beautiful.
    Aunt Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Everyone had to start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to bloggers world!!! what a great log cabin design, it's fun to hear about your beginnings. luv ya sista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! now you can enter posts in the Bloggers Quilt Festival. So. MUCH.FUN!! They are every spring and fall, I'll send you a link over to "Amy's Creative Side". She puts it together. You have a week to enter a post or two and then everyone votes on their favorite. There are lots of categories like, mini, small, med, large, bed quilt, hand quilted, machine quilted etc etc etc. It's great fun. She's taken down last fall's entries, but here is her main page:
    http://amyscreativeside.com/2014/10/24/bloggers-quilt-festival-fall-2014-edition/
    If you go to my blog, and type "bloggers quilt festival" in the search engine, you can see examples of my entries.
    http://www.amaidenhairfern.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete